5. For laminar flow of Newtonion fluid in a circular pipe, the velocity distribution is a function of the distance ‘d’ measured from the centre line of the pipe, and it follows a __________ relationship.
6. For turbulent flow in smooth circular pipe, the velocity distribution is a function of the distance ‘d’ measured from the wall of the pipe and the friction velocity ‘v’, and it follows a __________ relationship.
54. Working principle of manometer comprises of balancing a coloumn of liquid against the pressure to be measured. Inclined tube manometer is especially used for the measurement of __________ pressure.
60. A 0.5 m high bed made up of a 1 mm dia glass sphere (density 2500 kg/m³ ) is to be fluidised by water (density 1000 kg/m³ ). If at the point of incipient fluidisation, the bed voidage is 40%, the pressure drop across the bed is
62. A bed of spherical particles (specific gravity 2.5) of uniform size 1500 μm is 0.5 m in diameter and 0.5 m high. In packed bed state, the porosity may be taken as 0.4. Ergun’s equation for the above fluid-particle system (in SI units) is given below :Δ P/L = 375 x 10³ VOM + 10.94 x 10⁶ V²OM (SI units) If water is to be used as the fluidising medium, in actual operation, the above bed has a height = 1 m. What is the porosity of the fluidised bed ?
89. The drag co-efficient for a bacterium moving in water at 1 mm/s, will be of the following order of magnitude (assume size of the bacterium to be 1 micron and kinematic viscosity of water to be 10⁻⁶m²/s).
102. The pressure drop per unit length of pipe incurred by a fluid ‘X’ flowing through pipe is Δp. If another fluid ‘Y’ having both the specific gravity & density just double of that of fluid ‘X’, flows through the same pipe at the same flow rate/average velocity, then the pressure drop in this case will be
110. The velocity profile exhibited by laminar flow of Newtonion fluids is such that the velocity distribution w.r.t. radius of the circular pipe is a/an __________ with the apex at the centre line of the pipe.
158. Consider a centrifugal pump having a specific impeller diameter, fixed impeller speed pumping a liquid of constant density at a particular discharge capacity. With decrease in the capacity of the pump, the __________ decreases.
179. The variable required to be known in correlations used for estimating the horse power of a centrifugal gas compressor and hence its cost are P. Inlet pressure Q. Compressor rpm R. Delivery pressure S. Volumetric flow rate at inlet.
185. In case of hydraulically smooth pipe, the resistance to flow depends only on the Reynolds number, whereas for a hydraulically rough pipe, the resistance to flow is governed by the relative roughness. Two pipes are said to have the same hydraulic roughness, when they have equal values of
195. Reynolds number for water flow through a tube of I.D. 5 cm is 1500. If a liquid of 5 centipoise viscosity and 0.8 specific gravity flows in the same pipe at the same velocity, then the pressure drop will